A large contingent from Terrapin Teachers attended the 2018 UTeach Conference that was held in Austin, Texas from May 22 to 24. Representatives from 46 UTeach programs around the country met and shared ideas and lessons learned from implementing the UTeach model.
Our Terrapin Teachers staff and Master Teachers were invited to lead several sessions at the conference:
- “Shared Master Teacher Model”, Dr. Anisha Campbell and Julie Brenner
- “Integrating Computer Science in The UTeach Curriculum”, Justin Cannady (UTeach Institute), Lee Meadows (UAB Teach), and Julie Brenner (Terrapin Teachers)
- “Continuing Courageous Conversations: A Model For Social Justice in Early Fieldwork Courses”, Dr. Anita Sanyal, Sarah Henson-Darko, Steven Karig, and Kayla White
Terrapin Teachers undergraduates participated in the conference by presenting in the student poster session. Listed below are the students and the titles of their presentations:
- “Developing Critical Perspectives in Step 2: Maintaining an Open Disposition While Shifting from Student to Teacher”, Precious Azike and Joshua Pooranmal
- “Creating A Learning Community in An Undergraduate Math Class”, Tara Tanasovich and Vanessa Wagener
Overall, the University of Maryland, College Park was well represented as each student did an outstanding job during their presentations. Precious Azike and Joshua Pooranmal walked away as the winners of the 2018 UTeach Conference Poster Session in Course Exposition.